1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
25g/1oz mushrooms diced
1 large aubergine
50g Quorn mince
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp yeast extract
1 tbsp fresh finely chopped parsley
¼ pint of vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the topping:-
¼ pint low fat natural yoghurt
Salt and pepper
1. Slice the aubergine in half lengthways. Place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven at 180c, gas mark 4 for 30 – 40 minutes or until tender.
2. Heat a teaspoon of the oil in a non stick saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic on a low heat until the onions are transparent.
3. Add Quorn or turkey mince, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock, yeast extract and fresh parsley, cover and simmer over a low heat for approximately 30 minutes or until a thick consistency is reached and mince is cooked. Season to taste.
4. When aubergine is cooked, allow to cool slightly and then slice thinly.
5. Layer the aubergine and sauce finishing with a layer of aubergine.
6. For the topping whisk the eggs and yoghurt together, season and pour over the moussaka.
7. Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180c, gas mark 4 for 35 – 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
8. Serve with a salad.